The Ordinary Acrobat: A Journey into the Wondrous World of the Circus, Past and Present - Duncan Wall This book should have decided early on what it should have been. This should have been either a memoir about the author's introduction to circus life and culture. But it also wanted to be a book about circus history which is not the same as circus culture which is really where this book lost me.I am typically very intrigued about history but sadly the history aspects really distracted from what the book introduced itself as first, a memoir. Like there were moments where he was working a particular skill set, and then it will insinuate that he is about to meet someone that turns the concepts of that skill on its head. But then immediately it goes into the history of juggling or equestrians that just really takes you out of the memoir. Also the whole searching for the grave of the "Father of the Circus" kind of seemed very unnecessary and pretentious. I am sure his need to pay homage to that figure was genuine but how it was presented in the book really made me roll my eyes and wonder why I am supposed to care.That is one big failing of the book. It is obvious that the author is passionate about the circus, especially its history. But it fails to make the reader interested in it. Which made all of the reverences towards the art of being a circus performer seem ridiculous and overblown.I am sure that there is great care and mastery in being a circus performer. There is a great intelligence associated with it, but this book did very little to communicate that.